In light of Rocketboom’s announcement to sell advertising via eBay, there has been a lot of discussion about ways to monetize your videoblog or video podcast. I’ve brainstormed all the ways I could conceive of to generate income from a videoblog.
Here’s what I’ve come up with:
- Text Ads (i.e. Google Adsense, Yahoo Ad network)
- Embedded Video ads – ads that play at the beginning or end of a video.
- Sponsors/Underwriters – in the mold of Public Broadcasting
- Product Placement – payment for featuring products in the video
- Subscriptions – charging viewers a scheduled fee (i.e. monthly, annually etc.) to download
- Pay on demand – charging per episode or show
- Merchandise - selling swag
- Donations - groveling
- Grants – for the more artistic or experimental videos
- Services – Selling yourself as a consultant or your production service
I’d like to hear other creative ways videobloggers are considering to offset the cost of their productions.